Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Road Trip






This last weekend I had a three day weekend because I have Canadian holidays. I decided that I definitely needed to go somewhere with my kiddos while they were still out of school. I haven't been on any overnight trips with them since the divorce. I wanted to go to Pine. I begged my mom to make the arrangements and come with me. My mom brought my neice Shalyn with us.

We had a blast! We headed up Saturday. We took the kids to the swimming hole at East Verde River. Logan begged me to catch a crawdad for him and I did with my bare hands. Didn't know I still had that talent. I guess some things never leave you :). We stayed the night in Payson at a hotel. I must say that 4 kids in one room was enough to drive me and especially my mom a little batty!

Sunday we hiked the Tonto Natural Bridge. Logan and Shalyn had a great time climbing all around inside of the bridge. Megan and Katie had a great time climbing around as well and searching for lava rocks. We were all exhausted by the end of that with the exception of Logan. That child has so much endurance. He was running all the way back up the trail and was like come on guys. We then headed to Pine to stay the night. When we got there we had a nice visit with Aunt Ruby and Jack before they headed out later that night. Logan loved hearing all of Jack's hunting stories. He was completely enthralled by them. I took the kids down to the creek for a bit before night fall. It was so fun to share one of my favorite childhood places with my kiddos.

Monday morning mom made pancakes with blackberries on top. The kids loved it. Then we picked some blackberries and headed down to the creek again. I showed the kids where my cousins and siblings used to have our swimming hole. Then we headed down to Nifty Fifties for lunch. The kids loved it there. We headed back packed everything up and cleaned the house before taking off. The kids wanted to stop at the East Verde River to swim again for a bit. It was hard to drag them back to the car. We didn't end up getting home until almost 8 at night. It was a very enjoyable trip and also very exhausting. The kids definitely took it out of me and my mom. But as always just being at the Pine house has a way of renewing my spirits and was just what the Dr ordered. I am so glad that we got to go. I so loved sharing that with my kiddos.

I came home to my a/c not working. Luckily I have a small window unit in my room that keeps it nice and cool. I don't have money to get it fixed right now. So we will just hang out in here for a bit. I am so glad to have a King size bed that we can all sleep in. It is 103 degrees in the rest of my house right now.

School starts next week and that will be a whole new adventure.
:(.

1 comment:

The Jones Family said...

Thanks for sharing pics of that! I am so glad your kids can have the same kind of fun we had, and they even had a loving Grandma there just like we did. I love seeing that old yellow table. Brings back a lot of memories.
For some reason, it all looked a bit different through a child's eyes. Everything there in Pine was so comforting when Nan was there. I'm glad you got to go. I will have to make my way back one of these days.